12.02.2011

Painting On The Side


(Untitled, Nov. 2011 - , Kaylee Hinrichs, Work In Progress)

Since I open Birch & Bees, I've found myself with less and less time to paint and draw. Honestly, I think this is a really good thing. Because I no longer sell my paintings/drawings, I can just create whatever I want! This is pleasure I haven't had for 4 years! It feels so nice to just aimlessly create and see where I end up.

Although I do miss waking up and heading straight for the easel, I've learned that painting full-time for money, makes an enjoyable task into something incredibly mundane. Now that I'm not selling my paintings, my creative burnout has passed, I am more inspired than I've ever been, and I actually enjoy making art again. (Cue the chorus of angels.)

Here are a few snapshots of the paintings and drawings I've been working on these past couple months.


(from left to right, top to bottom)
The first "gypsy" girl I drew, The Meditation
A work in progress, The second "gypsy" girl
My Ganesha Portrait, Shavings from Oil Paint Sticks

It's nice to be able to just have fun with my paintings again. Now that I'm not worried about selling my paintings, I can relax and experiment. I've come up with numerous techniques and ideas from simply playing with my materials.
While I don't get to create as many paintings as I used to, now I think each of my paintings contain more effort, focus, and devotion. I have to be more selective about how I use my free time to create the art that I want.

I'm much happier now that I'm not selling visual art. I've thought about how I might change my mind about this if I find myself living in Europe or the United States.
But for now, I'm content with painting on the side.

Have you ever tried making money doing something you love, like painting? How does money effect your creativity and artworks?
-kaylee

No comments:

Post a Comment