12.21.2011

Inspired: Stones & Symbology

I'm completely obsessed with stones. In general, I find all types to be amazing and beautiful. As an artist, I'm fascinated by their symbology and what they mean to different cultures of people. In a lot of my notebooks, I have pages of notes written on the symbols of stones, plants, colors, numbers, and many other things. Here are some of my notes on three of my favorite stones, Rainbow Obsidian, Rose Quartz, and Turquoise.

Obsidian is created when lava cools quickly and produces volcanic glass. Rainbow Obsidian stones are recognized by a multi-color, swirling sheen. (Which is difficult to photograph, as you can see.) The Obsidian is a stone of protection and grounding. It's smooth glassy surface is said to symbolize a mirror, reflect your flaws back at you and show you what can be improved upon. It is a stone of Honesty, Sincerity, and Truth.

Rose Quartz is the stone of unconditional love. Wonderful for promoting self-love & acceptance, raising self-esteem. Rose quartz is associated with opening to all forms of love: self-love, family love, platonic love, and romantic love. It also brings gentleness, forgiveness, and tolerance. (This is a ring that Daniel made for me for my birthday this year. If you would like to see more photos of this ring and see how it's changed, click here.)

Turquoise is a stone of wholeness and the unity of all creation. It is known as a stone of vision, integration and clarity. Turquoise is sacred in both the Native American and Eastern/Oriental cultures. It is called the “Sky Stone” uniting the Heavens and the Earth. It aids in clear, thoughtful communication, and is thought to be a stone of great luck and abundance. Green Turquoise is created with iron is present, while Blue Turquoise is created when copper is present. (This is a ring that my mother gave me. It's a handmade ring, loaded with sentimental value.)

Some of my other favorite stones are Fire Agate, Opal, Watermelon Tourmaline, Blue Topaz, Carnelian, Moss Agate, Bismuth, Amber, all kinds of Quartz... Oh, I could go on forever about stones!
Do you have any favorite stones? What are they?
 -kaylee

No comments:

Post a Comment