2.26.2011

A Sweet Art Studio & 7 Tips on Making A Studio

Teesha Moore posted an article on her blog, that shows a glimpse of her really awesome studio and art supplies. I am completely jealous.


Why can't my studio be this ridiculously awesome? I mean... her studio is absolute stunning. It's full of personality, but still incredibly well organized. Don't even get me started on the wonderful island counter in the middle, or the cute draperies and artworks! I just love it.

If I had a gold star for the coolest studio, she would totally get it. 

I've been thinking a lot about what kinds of things I could do with my studio to make it really fantastic. So far, I've only been successful and drooling over other art studios. Although in my research, I've found a couple necessary parts to creating an art studio of any sort. These 7 tips should be well though out before making any major decisions about studio space.

1. Furniture
The furniture that is used in the studio is probably the most important part of the studio. Where you work is incredibly vital to how effective your studio is. Without the proper furniture you need, or the proper formation of the furniture pieces, something won't quite work right in the art making process. It's vital to pay close, mindful attention to how you make your art. How do you prefer to make things? (i.e. rolling around between multiple stations working different things at once, dancing and painting the easel at the same time, etc.)

2. Lighting
Lighting is nearly as important as the furniture, but not quite. The best tip I can give is to stay away from halogen and incandescent lights. They are incredibly damaging to artwork when exposed to these lights for too long. The best type of lights to use for artwork are Daylight Lightbulbs, they have a more blue/green based light source. And if you're up on your biology, this is a very close replication of natural sunlight, which artworks love. I have recently began switching out our incandescent light-bulbs and replacing them with daylight bulbs. The daylight bulbs are more expensive, but your art and house plants will thank you. 

3. Efficiency
A tricky aspect of setting up the studio. Efficiency. 
Efficiency in the workflow and process is found in proper arrangement of the furniture according to what you need and want.
As far as supplies go, I've found the best way to address this is to make art for a few weeks and pay attention to what materials you find yourself using the most, sometimes it's surprising to see what materials and mediums you instinctively grab for and use often but don't think twice about. Once you know the materials you use most often, pick a tackle-box or art supplies/tool kit organizer, and fill it with the art supplies you find yourself using most. This way your immediate art supplies are always ready to go and available.
For the rest of your supplies, the efficiency is found in organizing properly. 

4. Organizing
I love organizing. It just makes everything a lot easier, smoother, and simpler. You save time and energy by organizing efficiently. The only downside is making sure the organizing is efficient. I do this by taking an inventory of all the art supplies I own. Then, seperate them into general categories (papers, fabrics, recycle, watercolor, paints, etc.) The categories you choose should reflect what you own. I would keep toying with how you organize, until you can know where any art material is in a moment's notice. 

5. Personality
My favorite part of the studio. The parts of my studio that reflect my personality; my aquatic plant tank, my house plants, Samson's bed, my favorite books, my vinyl records, my CD collection, my personal projects and artworks hanging all around for inspiration, a bulletin board, my buddha statue collection, my Apache rug, etc. etc. Personality makes your studio yours. But that can also be a pitfall. Honestly, when you look at my studio now, all it does is reflect my personality. (Which brings me to point number 7...)

6. Energy/Atmosphere
The energy and atmosphere is not really a necessity, but it's a huge plus for maintain a consistent workflow. The energy that is created comes from furniture, lighting, personalizing, and aesthetics. My atmosphere is very earthy. This is from the dark stains on my wood furniture, my big green plants, my running water tank, open windows, pretty music. And the atmosphere is created. 
  
7. Workspace, Not Showroom
My studio has suffered from this time and time again. I start out working in the studio, and eventually it becomes overrun with projects and works-in-progress, and completed things, and somewhat started things, and almost finished things that I'm still stuck on. I've started to get in the habit of making a migration for my paintings and artworks into other rooms of our home.When all of your past creations are piling up in your studio, it's nearly impossible to make progress psychically and mentally. 

Hopefully, I can make some great changes to my own studio. And, yes, I will be back with Before & After photos. Lots of goodness.

-kaylee

No comments:

Post a Comment