2.11.2012

The Zodiac, Part One





When 2012 began, I took an interest in the zodiac symbols used in astrology. I read about the symbols of planets, elements, and all about the interesting history behind the costellations and symbols. I found it to be such an enchanting subject, which isn't very surprising, as I'm obsessed with symbology. After all my research, I started creating some drawings of my stylized zodiac symbols. 

So far, I've completed 6 of 12, with 2 others already in the works. It usually takes me a day or two to complete one of these drawings. I've been making these in a large sketchbook of mine, so the photographs aren't that great, but I hope you enjoy looking at them anyways!






("Capricorn" by Kaylee Hinrichs. January 2012. Black Ink, White Paper. 14" x 11")

The Sea-Goat. Planet: Saturn. Element: Earth.





("Leo" by Kaylee Hinrichs. January 2012. Black Ink, White Paper. 14" x 11")

The Lion. Planet: The Sun. Element: Fire.





("Cancer" by Kaylee Hinrichs. January 2012. Black Ink, White Paper. 14" x 11")

The Crab. Planet: The Moon. Element: Water.





("Sagittarius" by Kaylee Hinrichs. January 2012. Black Ink, White Paper. 14" x 11")

The Archer. Planet: Jupiter. Element: Fire.





("Scorpio" by Kaylee Hinrichs. January 2012. Black Ink, White Paper. 14" x 11")

The Scorpion. Planet: Mars/Pluto. Element: Water.





("Virgo" by Kaylee Hinrichs. January 2012. Black Ink, White Paper. 14" x 11")

The Virgin. Planet: Mercury. Element: Earth.

Virgo was the first symbol I illustrated in this collection. (As I'm a Virgo, I thought it was quite fitting.) Initially, I drew the pretty flower on Virgo to symbolize the earth element of the sign. But, I decided to use the flower as a way to create a coherent look in all the different symbols. The center of each flower shows the symbol which I used to create my stylized version.

I'm going to create two collections of zodiac symbols; in full color, and black & white. I will most likely sell prints of these artworks on paper in varied sizes. (So, if you're interested, the black & white edition will be available sometime in the next couple months!) I'll be sharing a lot more information on this soon!

Hopefully I can wrap up part two in the next few weeks!

peace & love,
kaylee

No comments:

Post a Comment